Pages

10.25.2011

90th birthday quilt

I made this quilt at the request of my mother in law. She commissioned it as a gift for her mother and gave it to her this August for her 90th birthday.

It was a challenge to make, each piece is a one inch square. The entire quilt is 79 inches square; I'm not a calculator, but that is a lot of tiny squares! I had many arguments with this quilt, we had a hard time living together for a while, but in the end it came together and I met my deadline.
I quilted it with dark brown thread in a meander pattern, I wanted something simple because the blocks are detailed. (and because I was ready to bind it, put it in a box and mail it far away from me)
I do think it is a beautiful quilt and I am glad that my mother in law and I could choose the fabric and the pattern together.

5 comments:

  1. I am sure she cried....what a lovely quilt and gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Barb! She really does enjoy the quilt, and so do I now that it is a finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful colors! It must have taken an awful lot of patience to piece together than many tiny squares.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness this is stunning! I don't know how many squares but it doesn't matter - it's gorgeous! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would just look at a pattern like that and turn and run! Your patience to stitch all those tiny squares is beyond anything I can comprehend. Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete