Pages

9.27.2011

One of the first...

This is one of the first quilts that I made when I began quilting in 2009. I bought a kit that included the pattern, as well as all the fabric for the top of the quilt and the binding. The blocks are 8 by 16 inch rectangles so the quilt top was easy to put together. I bought the backing fabric from JoAnn Fabric and Craft, and quilted it at home on my Brother machine with dark brown Guetermann thread.
My grandmother told me that as a quilter, I should keep one of my first projects for myself so that after some time has passed I can refer to it and then clearly see the progression of my skills and creativity. I keep this lap quilt on the arm of my couch and I use it when I am watching a movie or to take an afternoon nap. (each of these is a rare occurrence, who has time for naps when there is sewing to be done?)
While I think this is a well made quilt, I do see a difference in the workmanship between this quilt and the things that I make now. I am so lucky to have two wonderful grandmothers and an aunt to learn this skill from and share ideas with. (Even though  they give the stink eye to some of my more modern ideas and fabric choices.)
I have learned to share those modern ideas with another great quilter, my cousin Robin, as well as my fellow members of the Austin Modern Quilt Guild.

1 comment: